Ear Training is the fundamental approach to connecting theoretical concepts of music (i.e. scales, chords, rhythms, intervals, etc.) with the sounds detected by the human ear. Much like learning a new language, it is imperative for all musicians to actively listen and comprehend the sounds they are hearing in order to better themselves as musicians overall. Many benefits of ear training include:
- Transcribing chords and melodies by ear
- Keen understanding of rhythmic and melodic dictation
- Improved musicianship
- Increased understanding of intonation
- Composing or arranging music faster
- Developing aural and singing skills
These exercises are designed to assess the student throughout each ear training lesson. By the end of each exercise, the musician will be able to hear various types of sounds and translate that knowledge into their respective instrument or voice.